Please be aware, specifically speaking in terms of our (MSWSC's) water lines, if you did not request a locate and you hit/damage a line, you may be held financially responsible for repairs.
The 811 Process for Homeowners
- NOTIFY - Notify your local one-call center by calling 811 or making an online request 2-3 days before work begins. The one-call center will transmit information to the affected utility operators.
- WAIT - Wait at least 72 hours for affected utility operators to repsond to your request.
- CONFIRM - Confirm that all affected utility operators have responded to your request by comparing the marks to the list of utilities the one-call center notified.
- RESPECT - Respect the marks. The marks provided by the affected utility operators are your guide for the duration of your project. If you are unable to maintain the marks during your project, or the project will continue past your project's expiration date, please call 811 to ask for a re-mark.
- DIG CAREFULLY - Dig carefully. If you can't avoid digging near the marks (within 18 - 24 inches on all sides), consider moving your project to another part of your property. If you must dig near the marks or use machinery of any kind, please read "The 811 Process for Contractors." http://www.texas811.org/